Monday, May 5, 2014

Gimping Along

I have had a bad back for the past two weeks, and on and off for the past month or so. It is characterized by breath-catching pain when I lift, lean forward, twist, or sometimes do nothing. I finally broke down and went to the doc, but it was nothing exotic as I had feared (spinal collapse? osteoporosis? something deadly and undiagnosed?), it is simply a pinched nerve. It should go away with exercise, icing, and pain killers in about six weeks. If not, the doc will order an X-ray, but he assured me that most of the time it goes away before he has to get out the big guns.  He gave me a prescription for the world's largest horse pills of ibuprofen and sent me on my way.

When I got home, I ran into my next door neighbor, Doreen, who had canceled a flight to see her family due to a pinched nerve higher up in her spinal column than mine was in mine. She was feeling just about as chipper as I was, a couple of gimpy gals. So, we decided to cook dinner together and watch the baseball game on TV as we cheered each other up.

My Beloved, always the Good Guy, ordered some guacamole and chips from Las Camelias in San Rafael and drove across the bridge to San Rafael to fetch it. Guacamole is a cure-all, and the stuff from Las Camelias has been known to work miracles. If I were still a Catholic, I might nominate it for sainthood. 

As we munched and chatted in Doreen's gorgeous kitchen with the game on dueling TVs so she wouldn't have to turn her stiff neck to follow the action, I put together a simple spring risotto. Arborio rice, chicken broth, fresh asparagus, yellow sweet pepper, fresh dill, fresh parsley and frozen shrimp - easy one-hand. I didn't even have to take the tails off the shrimp. I forgot the Parmesan cheese (airhead!) but it was still delicious and a single cup of rice with embellishments fed all three of us with some left over for Doreen's lunch the next day.

Agonizing over the game (although the right team prevailed in the end) took our minds off our ills, and sharing a meal brought a neighborly glow. We hugged when it was time for me to rest my stabbing back and parted at the kitchen door, comforted to have shared our miseries and our meal.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Sorry to hear about your back. I see you say icing will help--icing as in ice, or icing as in frosting...?

I like the look of this risotto. You're a good sport to be whipping up such a fancy lunch when you're not feeling 100%.

PS, I agree about guacamole. Really just avocado in general, I ate some almost every day.

Monday, May 05, 2014  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Bummer about your back. Pinched nerves are not fun - and they can be so unpredictable. But the risotto, now that is fun! And your family get together sounds like it was lovely as well. More pictures of the kitchen job?

Monday, May 05, 2014  
Blogger Three Dogs BBQ said...

Sorry about your back Zoomie. Watch the exercise though. Not too much. The risotto looks great. I made my first one a month or so ago. Pretty good for the first try. I made a parmesean white wine concoction. After seeing yours, I need to step up my game.

Monday, May 05, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, I'm inclined to think that either icing or frosting would work well. :-) Avocado forever!

Katie, all I would post is pictures of empty spaces with wires and pipe running through. We can see progress and perhaps your mari would "get it," but others just see a gaping hole where my kitchen will be someday. And my bathroom. :-)

Three Dogs, Not to worry - all I do is walk the dog and swim for an hour, both of which the doc said were good for helping to recover quickly. The best part about risotto is that you can add any combination of goodies you like and it's always good.

Monday, May 05, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home