Monday, August 4, 2014

Details


Finding ourselves once again in Marin county, this time looking at knobs and pulls for our beautiful new cabinets, we stopped for lunch in San Rafael at the Best L'il Porkhouse, a hole in the wall that serves wonderful barbecue. They rather relish their folksy "redneck" aura, offering paper towels still on the roll as napkins and using cheese whiz instead of real cheese. As it turns out, there is no better wiper for slippery fingers than paper towels and, while I'd rather have real cheese melted over my nachos, I have to admit there's a certain casual appeal to the bright orange of the liquid kind.

Knobs and pulls. Did you know that there are at least 10 gazillion different styles of knobs and pulls currently on the market?  We found ones from at least 15 different vendors at a single store, and each vendor offered a zillion possible choices. Hard to believe that many foundries could make money selling slight variations of the same darn thing! No wonder we needed feeding up once we emerged from the store with all that swimming around in our heads!

The nachos at the Porkhouse are unique. Rather than copy the usual Mexican theme, they use pulled pork on top of the tortilla chips, as well as baked beans, cheese whiz, barbecue sauce, and honest-to-goodness bacon bits to add flavor. This is not healthy eating - I probably shortened my life expectancy by nearly finishing these - but, man! were they ever good! And, thank heavens I ordered the small portion!

We did make some progress on the knob selection front - we have ordered a few samples to see how they look in place. The choice is surprisingly important - not just the look, but the feel and the functionality of the details is something we will see and use every day. We had better like them! So, we will be going back to that bewildering store until we find just the right ones. Good to know that the Porkhouse is just around the corner.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

how well I remember that cabinet knob and pull hunt a couple of homes ago. it was mind numbing. in the end, the designer I was working with guided me to a choice that worked beautifully. the feel is as important as the looks, in my view!

Monday, August 04, 2014  
Blogger Greg said...

Pork and shopping. Fun stuff.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, My Beloved has a great aesthetic sense, so I'm relying on him to come up with the perfect pulls. :-)

Greg, what more could I ask for?

Tuesday, August 05, 2014  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

The knobs we have on our bathroom cabinets are now in their fourth house. We really like them and always replace them with something simple before we sell so we can take them with us. I understand the importance LOL

Tuesday, August 05, 2014  
Blogger AphotoAday said...

I always cringe when I see their sign, but good to know they have that good old artery clogging cholesterol laden grub that I grew up on. You know, just down the road is the best hamburger in Marin--Phyllis's, but I haven't been in there for years so don't know if it is still as good.
--By the way, Zoomie, I left a clarification of the reason for my somewhat mismatched diptych in my blog comments and FB page today. Always appreciate your comments.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katie, what a great idea! I wouldn't have thought of that but it makes sense, especially as good ones are quite expensive.

Donald, I will have to try Phyllis's and let you know if it's still good. Always fun to try something new.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home