Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Don't Eat This


Don't eat this. It's bad for you. 

In fact, it's so bad for you that it should carry a warning label. "Too much fat," it should say, and "Too much salt." Or, in flashing lights, it should read, "Too much guilt!"

SPAM is an amazing product, any way you look at it. It keeps forever, it tastes vaguely of ham with a soupçon of lining-of-the-can-it-comes-in, and it is an enduring pleasure in Hawaii. Hawaiians use it in all kinds of dishes from SPAM musubi to SPAM omelets to grilled SPAM brochettes alternating with chunks of fresh, ripe pineapple. I have always assumed it was popular in Hawaii because it kept well in the tropical heat, unlike any fresh meat would. But, who really knows?

I learned to love it when I lived in Hawaii, both as a child and as an adult. Last time we were in Hawaii, back in May (which gives you an idea of how well it keeps), we found these single serving packets of SPAM, an irresistible innovation. They were in the super market in an aisle that contained at least 10 different varieties of SPAM and SPAM-related products. You gotta love a company that moves with the times, right?  Low fat, low salt - even turkey SPAM!  I snapped up a couple single-serving packets as a gift for my buddy Irene, who loves SPAM almost as much as I do. I kept one for myself.

I browned mine in a frying pan before scrambling in some eggs, which you will be glad to know I shared with My Beloved so I didn't get all that salt and fat for myself. It's a simple preparation, but one of my faves. It was good in all the ways that are bad for you.

The warning label should also read: "Seriously addictive."

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I loved Spam when I was a kid. Since we lived in so many Moslem countries, we could not get pork. Sunday breakfast was eggs, biscuits and Spam. I still like corned beef hash so I would probably like Spam - I should keep a few tins around. They would probably survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014  
Blogger Unknown said...

I still like all the fat and salt, noticed you got the full Monte variety not the low salt/ fat. How many slices in a packet?

Wednesday, August 13, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, and now that they come in plastic packages, they most certainly will survive the Zombie Apocalypse! :-) Still as good as you remembered as a child.

Whiting, since they are called "SPAM singles" you know how many are inside. One pretty thick slice. :-)

Thursday, August 14, 2014  
Blogger AphotoAday said...

love it but never buy it. the store clerks would point their noses in derision and disdain if I tried to buy Spam. Buying Spam is a symbol for I just don't give a damn. Pass the highly salted whatever-meat. Gotta admit it is a wonderful invention. Best thing is to make your purchases near campgrounds, where the purchase is not such a potentially incriminating liability.

Thursday, August 14, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

AphotoAday, it's because you live in upscale Marin - in Hawaii, people smile when you bring SPAM to the checkout counter. :-)

Thursday, August 14, 2014  
Blogger Toons said...

1 meal...Spam with canned yams studded with cloves, covered with applesauce and sprinkled with cinnamon. Bake till hot and bubbly. It'll get you through the poor times! Cheers.

Monday, August 18, 2014  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Spam sandwich on white bread with Miracle Whip.... My favorite.
My mother always put layers of spam in the scalloped potatoes. And the whole thing was topped with bacon. No wonder it was so good!

Thursday, August 21, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, wow, that sounds amazing!

Katie, your Mom is my kind of woman! :-)

Saturday, August 23, 2014  
Blogger Toons said...

"scuse me Zoomie but why do you want to know if I'm leaving your page? Is it you or them? And just who is them anyway?

Monday, August 25, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home