Monday, August 18, 2014

Sweet Tart


We have subscribed to Sunset magazine for, basically, ever. I discovered it when I first lived in California, 'way back in the '70s, and I kept up my subscription even when I lived in New York State, as I always enjoyed the recipes and craft ideas. I'm no longer in my Craft Stage, but I do still enjoy the ideas of great places to vacation and the recipes.

Even though there are many things I can't easily make during construction, I do look for new ideas that might translate well to two burners and two frying pans.  This one for pork chops topped with agrodolce peaches required three frying pans but could easily be done in stages, so I was game. And my peach tree had a banner year, so peaches are in abundant supply at our house just now. I have given away four bags full and the branches are still loaded with fast-ripening fruit.

I made the agrodolce peaches first, and transferred them to a serving bowl. Agrodolce means tart-sweet in Italian, and that's completely descriptive. The vinegars give it zing and the honey gives it sweetness. The fruits lend their flavors of fresh and dried, and the thyme offers that funky, earthy undertone that gives the dish complexity.

I used pork tenderloin cut into medallions rather than pork chops - they sauté up very nicely in just a few minutes, then are topped with the peaches. Nice porky flavor, no bones, and no waste.

It was luscious. I can't think of another word that adequately describes the combination of sweet, tart, herbal, and savory. Layer upon layer of flavors made My Beloved, who loves variety, very happy.

Thanks to my old friend, Sunset. I can count on you.


2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Who needs a kitchen! Yums.

Monday, August 18, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, thanks, but _I_ need a kitchen! Happily, there is serious progress this week.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home