Friday, October 24, 2014

Important National Holiday

Much to the dismay of my somewhat patrician mother, I was more of a plebeian in my early tastes. Maybe it was that Irish blood, something her family dreaded when she had the good sense to marry my Dad over their objections. Whatever the reason, I just loved a bologna sandwich on gooshy white bread with iceberg lettuce and lots of mayo.

I still do.

I had my first one at a friend's house, as my mother would never buy bologna, or white bread, or iceberg lettuce.

My tastes have changed a little since those days, but I still do enjoy two slabs of pink meat between two slices of bread with a scrape of mayo and a crisp leaf of sweet iceberg to give it crunch. These days, the bread is better than the Wondrous stuff I loved back then, but the rest hasn't changed.

So, when My Beloved informed me on Monday that Friday would be National Bologna Day, I rushed out to the supermarket to buy the fixings for the grand celebration. I admit that my snooty side was tempted to purchase some of the excellent Fra Mani mortadella instead, but I remained staunchly true to the original, lowly though it may be, and bought a plastic package of the brand that the little kid used to sing about.

Happy Bologna Day, one and all!

7 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

One of.my best.memories of.my father is Saturday mornings at the stove he would fry us bologna.i loved how the bologna would hump up in the middle as it got hot, and then dad would cut a slit in it on one side, right there in the cast iron pan, to make it lie flat. He always fried it hard until it got a little char on it, and then we ate it - yes on wonder bread - but with mustard, not mayo. And no lettuce was in evidence at all.

Saturday, October 25, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Aimee, loved your memory of your Dad. Thanks for sharing.

Sunday, October 26, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sunday, October 26, 2014  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just had the Hawaii version... Fried spam with mayo, iceberg lettuce on rye. Try it you might like it! :-)

Sunday, October 26, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Whiting, hmmmm, sounds interesting. Let's make one next time I come.

Sunday, October 26, 2014  
Blogger Greg said...

bologna on a roll was my childhood staple. I haven't had one in years.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, maybe next year, on National Bologna Day.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home