Thursday, November 27, 2014

Tea For Two

In this week when we are all thinking about what we are thankful for, my cousin Jan is right at the top of my list of good things I am grateful for. I didn't know her well as a child because our two Navy families kept us moving, for the most part, in different spheres, but when she retired and settled just forty minutes north, we became great pals.

We share a family bond but also a love of thrift shops, animals, books, and word games, to name just a few. So, when Jan invited me to drive up to use her coupon for afternoon tea at a tea shop in Santa Rosa, I couldn't wait. By the way, we also share a love of eating.

The Tudor Rose Tea Room is charming. From the front "gate," painted white with flowers growing up the trellis, to the mismatched flowery china, to the gracious English lady who owns it, to the server in long, black dress and crisp white apron, the Tudor Rose whisks you back to Merrie Olde Englande. There are sofas by the fire and charming tables scattered through the room. There are hats hanging on the walls which one may borrow if one feels the urge to dress up for tea. Next time, I may have to wear a pair of perfectly white gloves.

The menu features several kinds of black, red, and green teas, and all sorts of delectable things to eat, as well. Jan had Earl Grey and I chose Irish Breakfast, served with sugar and milk in a pitcher decorated with roses. We shared a tiered plate of finger sandwiches and a scone apiece for dessert. Everything is made and baked fresh on the premises. The sandwiches were fun and filling but, people, I really need to rave about the scones!  The Tudor Rose serves the best scone I have ever tasted, bar none!  

Now, you have heard me wax lyrical about the scones at Tal-y-Tara - and they really are exceptionally good, light and delicious - but at the Tudor Rose, the scones are even lighter and they have added an elusive spice to the batter that I can't identify, but I suspect it should be a controlled substance, as it is seriously addictive. I don't think it's cinnamon - maybe allspice?  Anyway, it's a wonderful addition to a cranberry-orange scone. They were so good, we bought two extra to take home to My Beloved and they were just as good the next day, gently warmed and slathered with the clotted cream they serve at Tudor Rose.

As I drove home, full of tea and good will, with my extra scones tucked safely into the backseat, I reflected on all the fun Jan and I and My Beloved have shared over the years, feeling very fortunate indeed. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. 




4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

and happy thanksgiving to you a day late! I image you cooked up a mighty feast in that beautiful new kitchen.

Friday, November 28, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, yes, we did the dinner this year, but the guests contributed salad and dessert, so it wasn't too hard. And cooking in my new kitchen is such a pleasure! Even more to be thankful for!

Saturday, November 29, 2014  
Blogger Greg said...

Tea seems so civilized.

Saturday, November 29, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yes, doesn't it? Much more than a cup of coffee.

Saturday, November 29, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home