Thursday, January 29, 2015

Hero Worship

My Beloved loves auto racing, pretty much any kind, from drag racing (his first love) through Formula One (his next enthusiasm) to NASCAR (current fave). And, because he loves racing so much, he idolized P.L. Newman.

The rest of us know P.L. Newman by his stage name, Paul Newman. Yes, that Paul Newman. The gorgeous, blue-eyed screen god with the sulky, sexy mouth. Butch Cassidy, etc. My Beloved only got interested in Paul Newman when he strapped on a helmet and got into car racing as P.L. in an attempt to keep his movie fans at bay.

What this has to do with pizza is that I am instructed by My Beloved to purchase any and all Newman's Own products in honor of his hero. We eat popcorn and cookies from Newman's Own, and we've tried every other product they have ever brought out - at least once.

The latest issue of Sunset magazine featured a big ad for Newman's Own pizza - aha! something new! - so when I happened to see it the very next day in my market's freezer section, it was a no-brainer. Even when he's feeling well, My Beloved gets a little kick out of Newman products; when he's still flat on his back for many hours per day, it becomes a special treat.

It was a treat for this overworked cook, too. It couldn't have been easier to bake - not even a sheet pan was dirtied - and it was quick. It features a thin and crisp crust, our favorite, and there was plenty of pepperoni. I could have asked for a bit more cheese, as I'm one of those who likes the cheese to string generously from the slice when you pick it up, but what cheese there was was tasty.

Was it the best pizza ever?  Far from it!  But, it was good and flavorful and it put a smile on My Beloved's face. That's all I ask of frozen pizza. That, and a fun connection with his hero.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

sure looks good. We keep a frozen pie in the freezer for nights when the energy lacks. Newman's products have always been successful here. Gotta try one.

Friday, January 30, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I hope you like it. I had never tried frozen pizza before (crazy, I know!) so this was a revelation.

Monday, February 02, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home