Saturday, January 10, 2015

Improvements

Well, all I can say is a heartfelt, "Whew!"

I'm glad to report that My Beloved is improving. His attack of sciatica has been severe, requiring trips to the emergency room where they terrified us with the spectre of cancer only to dispel it half an hour later, and a 4am call to 9-1-1 for what seemed to be a drug reaction, but which calmed down by the time the EMTs arrived. I hope we never have to go through nearly three weeks like this again!

He is now able to sit up to take meals, although he has to get flat again immediately after. He can walk unassisted to the bathroom (a whole 10 feet away) and, some mornings, he can even make his own breakfast - huzzah! He's still spending 23 hours a day flat on his back, but at least he's not in such excruciating pain.

Here's another improvement that I discovered 'way back before the sciatica attack, one that I think you will enjoy. It's a side dish of rice pilaf, but with enhancements that really make it sing.

You make the pilaf in the usual way - sauté some chopped onion in a little butter until clear, add the rice and stir until the grains go cloudy, then add chicken stock and cook, covered, until the rice is finished - but at the end you add peeled and chopped fuyu persimmon and minced cilantro just before serving. 

The persimmon and the cilantro give a wonderfully sweet and fresh burst of flavor that goes great with pork tenderloin medallions or any meat that likes a fruity accompaniment. I use pork medallions because they are so quick and easy to fix.

I'm not sure how faithful I can be to the blog until My Beloved is truly up and better - he still needs a great deal of help and care - but I'll come here with something new and fun as often as I can. I have missed the writing and your sweet comments and the freedom to spend a little time with my blogging pals. I'm glad for lots of reasons that we are seeing improvements!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

So glad to read that he is on the mend!

Sunday, January 11, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, thanks. Me, too!!

Tuesday, January 13, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home