Monday, January 19, 2015

Stir Crazy

This is a cautionary tale. This is what can happen when two people are trapped in the house together for three weeks, one of whom has serious sciatica and the other is taking care of the patient.

When our Hawaii family called to commiserate with the patient (which, by the way, is a completely inept name for one who has lost all patience) they happened to be making chocolate chip cookies. For some unknown reason, the juxtaposition of choco chips and Hawaii fired an idea in my brain - why not try adding SPAM to chocolate chip cookies? After all, I have heard of bacon chocolate chip cookies, so why not SPAM? We could call them "Hawaiian Style™" or "Island Hyland™"and the fad would sweep the nation, bringing us fame and fortune and lots of blog readers! It couldn't fail!

Except that it sorta did.

I made a batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies, the ones from Sunset Magazine called "Chocolate Chip Cookies at their best," (except I use all butter, replacing the shortening in that recipe) but to the last sheet of cookies, I stirred in four or five quarter-inch cubes of SPAM per cookie.

The cookies spread in the hot oven as they always do, and bubbled and browned nicely. When they came out of the oven, the little pink cubes looked kinda cute, too. And the taste wasn't bad when they were warm - the SPAM added a little fillip of salty goodness to the cookies. Yes, it was weird, but not in a bad way.

The sad part happened once the cookies cooled. Room temperature SPAM is really not an appetizing item - it needs to be hot, or at least warm - and, sure enough, it was nasty in the cooled cookies. I have to say that, overall, they were not a huge success and I doubt very much if they will make my reputation, unless it's a Kardashian-like negative rep. 

So, please, dear readers, say a little prayer that My Beloved recovers soon and that I'm released from finding my satisfactions by crazy little experiments like "Hawaiian Style™" chocolate chip cookies. He's going stir crazy and I definitely need to get out more.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You definitely need to get out of the house!! It is a really nice house though.....

Tuesday, January 20, 2015  
Blogger Greg said...

slip some pain killers into the cookies and escape while he naps! ;)

Tuesday, January 20, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Whiting, I'm getting out a bit more now, but obviously still not enough!

Greg, he's loopy enough on pain killers now - I'd be afraid to give him any more! :-)

Tuesday, January 20, 2015  
Blogger Toons said...

Gives "Get'em while there hot!" a whole new meaning, don't it. you are indeed one brave lady.

Thursday, January 22, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, and you are one sweet man!

Thursday, January 22, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home